By Peter Murphy
1. Exceptional people skills and the ability to start a wonderful conversation with anyone you meet are essential life skills. Your success and happiness are directly related to the development of these social skills.
These skills are not optional unless you want to be excluded from what is going on in the world.
2. In an increasingly competitive world it is your skill with people that determines whether you move ahead more so than your technical ability. There is a plentiful supply of able workers but very few have great communication skills.
3. In your social life - your popularity, your acceptance by others and the extent to which you feel valued and appreciated depends on how well you express yourself.
4. The failure to connect with people leads to loneliness and an uncomfortable sense of being excluded. And too much time spent alone when you would rather be enjoying the company of like minded people.
5. Your degree of happiness is very closely tied to the quality of the relationships in your life. The more close relationships you have with people who genuinely care about you the happier you will be. And all lasting relationships depend on good communication skills.
6. Life will always have its ups and downs. The good times are even more fun when you are with people you like. And the bad days are easier to handle when you can turn to others for support and encouragement.
None of this is feasible without the ability to reach out when you need to most of all.
7. When you reach the top of success mountain will people even care? If you do it alone you may well jump over the edge! True success is a team effort. You will get ahead faster and enjoy the journey much more when you have a team of supporters, helpers and mentors on your side.
8. Making a difference for others is one of the most satisfying ways to feel like your time here is worthwhile. However, positive intentions alone are not enough. You still need to be able to get through to people if you are to really make an impact in the lives of people who need your help.
9. When you get to the end of your life do you want titles or testimonials? Qualifications, awards and a track record of achievement are all worthwhile. Just be sure you also make a positive impression on the people you come into contact with. Otherwise do any of those successes really matter?
10. In a global marketplace job insecurity is becoming the norm. At some point you may need to change job or enter a new industry. You might even need to move to a different state. The only way to ensure a smooth transition is to develop exceptional people skills now.
11. Your happiness in life depends on how much love you feel. Consequently you owe it to yourself to have a great home life and rich friendships with a wide range of people you like and care about. To connect with people requires you to have good communication skills.
12. High income professionals understand the importance of people skills. Research demonstrates that top executives network extensively in the organization, know how to get people to support them and put time into fostering good working relationships with people of influence.
Neglect communication skills and you limit your happiness and success. And by default you give others control over your life.
The only way to be the master of your destiny is to take charge. Know what you really want and have the courage to stand up and be counted.
Join the Christian Mommies Forums to participate in our friendly online community, and have grown-up conversation with other Christian moms. As an alternative try our "Mom Site" Affiliate Moms of Faith's online community.
Christian Mommies Home Page - Site Map
Facebook Page - Pinterest - Twitter
Copyright © 2001-2018 Christian-Mommies.com ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.