Thread: Pre k signups

Default Pre k signups

Ds1 and ds2 both went to pre k our school never required for me to show proof of income nor ever asked what our income was(I assume it's because we are a small school and never worried about limited space as in not many pre k sign ups and maybe now that the school is growing that's now a concern so they have to enforce the rules? Because now maybe lots of signups idk), because this year they are requiring it and I am hoping ds3 can go because if he can't he will be so very very upset, he wants to go to school so bad with his brothers he cried for 2 months at the beginning of the school year because he didn't understand why he couldn't go too, and now he doesn't cry but he does ask everyday "is today the day I can go?" he does "homework" everyday with them too (he just works out of a pre k books i bought at walmart)so I hope we qualify I don't know the income limit or I wouldn't even bother going to sign up if we make to much and boy how am I gonna explain he can't go next school year if we don't qualify
    Mom to 4 boys (10,7,4,3)

I'm sorry... I don't understand what income has to do with your child being allowed to go?? Aside from that, I know that here at least, siblings get priority for registration when there are limitations (due to numbers, etc.) on enrollment so that families can have their kids together.
    Kim
    Wife to Alan 01
    Mom to Liam 7, Fiona 6, Callum 3, Alanna 2 and Malcolm (April)!!

To Him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to Him be the glory ~Eph. 3:20

http://cardsbykim.wordpress.com

Honestly Kim it doesn't make sense to me it never has I guess the lower income families and military have dumb kids so they need an extra boost by being offered free pre k at the local school, because it doesn't make sense to why they don't offer every child, I wished someone would raise a stink over it lol and we go to school in the district we are in, so we don't get to choose any public school , we have to go to the one in our area basically every school has a map and if you fall inside their map area then you have no choice but to go there but we can pay for any private school located anywheres we are willing to drive
    Last edited by melinda; 05-01-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    Mom to 4 boys (10,7,4,3)

Oh this is pre kindergarten, now next year when he is old enough for kindergarten I don't have to show income just a utility bill or something proving I live in their district, kindergarten through 12th grade is required here but pre k isn't the local schools offer it free for low income families, I can enroll him in a private school for pre k but I have to pay and I don't have that kind of money hope I make sense I have no clue how state to state differs or country to US differ lol
    Mom to 4 boys (10,7,4,3)

Oh.... okay. I missed that it was preK. We don't have that where I live. I hope things get sorted out for you!!
    Kim
    Wife to Alan 01
    Mom to Liam 7, Fiona 6, Callum 3, Alanna 2 and Malcolm (April)!!

To Him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to Him be the glory ~Eph. 3:20

http://cardsbykim.wordpress.com

I'm sure that's frustrating for you. My kids are close in age I went through the crying every time I dropped the older one off at school, so I understand. I hope he's able to go.

Quote Originally Posted by melinda View Post
    I guess the lower income families and military have dumb kids so they need an extra boost by being offered free pre k at the local school, because it doesn't make sense to why they don't offer every child, I wished someone would raise a stink over it lol
    I don't want to veer off topic too much, but wanted to address this.

Being a low income or military family does not automatically make a child dumb or in need of a boost.

To clarify, low income families get preference in school settings because their children often have less opportunities in life. In most instances, low income families are single parent homes. In turn, the mother spends all her time working trying to make ends meet and doesn't take (or have) the time to properly prepare the child for school. As a means of helping the child not repeat the cycle, most states make it a priority for the child to go to preschool so they will be on track once they get to kindergarten and have a proper education.

Similarly, military families are sometimes given preferential treatment because we move around frequently and all states have different requirements. You can easily live in one state and be at the top of your class, then get orders somewhere else and fail because they use a different teaching method, or are way ahead of your last district. My oldest son is in 1st grade and has been to 4 different schools already due to our military moves. Thankfully, because I am very involved in his schooling, he has remained on honor roll throughout our moves. It can be difficult to have a proper education with such an unstable lifestyle. Of course, on the other hand, we are often automatically disqualified from certain schools because of residency issues.

All that to say, I certainly understand your frustration, but there are actually valid reasons for these rules.

Either way, I hope your son gets in with no issues.

Sorry I do not by any means think lower income or military kids are dumb, I know very smart children that have skipped grades levels who came from a very low income home, I was being sarcastic because I didn't see why, i am considered a low income family(that gets disqualified sometimes by a few dollars)so I do not think we are dumb, I apologize if I offended anyone because I didn't think to clarify nor thought that it would offend anyone,
    Last edited by melinda; 05-02-2012 at 10:24 PM.
    Mom to 4 boys (10,7,4,3)

I'm not offended at all and I apologize if it came off that way.

I only posted the info because I have encountered many who are truly confused as to why it happens and believe it is unfair.

Having been in your position, not wealthy enough to afford tuition, yet not poor enough to get tuition assistance, I truly sympathize with you.

I hope you are able to get your son into the school of your choice without a struggle!