Thread: Losing Weight

Question Losing Weight

I am 19 weeks & 1 day pregnant with my second baby. With my daughter, I gained a total of 44 pounds - and I was already overweight to begin with! Well, with this pregnancy I had lost all my pregnancy weight and was actually 14 lbs less than when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. At my appointment last month, I had gained a total of 9 lbs. Last week's visit showed I had LOST 2 lbs, making my total net gain only 7 lbs. I just weighed myself at home this morning and my weight is down another 1.5 lbs. My scales are actually the same as my OB's so I feel they're pretty accurate. My doctor wasn't too concerned last week but told me I needed to either stay the same weight for next month or gain. Why in the world am I losing weight?? I eat pretty much anything I want to eat and the nausea from the first trimester is gone. I'm more active than last pregnancy because I have a 2-year old to chase around all day now but I don't do any regular exercise (bad, I know!). I'm concerned that I'm not gaining and also concerned that my doctor may think I'm doing it on purpose since I tried to hard to lose weight before I got pregnant. Has this happened to anyone else at this stage of pregnancy? Could something be wrong with my baby?

I lost weight with my second! I don't remember my exact numbers but I didn't gain much in the end. My ds turned out normal and healthy. And I, like you, lost the nausea as soon as I entered my 2nd trimester and was eating well. My doctor wasn't too concerned as I was very active chasing around eldest ds. Baby was healthy the entire time as well. I wouldn't stress too much!
    Wife of Mason-2002
    Imy boys
    Payton-January 2008
    Dawson-April 2010

I lost weight with my second as well. I think in the end I only gained 11lbs. I am overweight, and typically when you're overweight they don't want you to gain too much during pregnancy. My doctor never said a word about my weight. I didn't gain anything until the 3rd trimester. I had lost so much in the 1st and 2nd that I never got heavier than I was when I found out I was pregnant. But of course I was sick and throwing up a lot. Baby girl was just fine when she was born.

I wouldn't worry about that. She is growing and your body is using more calories for that.

Liz
    Mommy to Elijah 5 and Charlotte 2.5

Thanks! I'm glad to know your baby girl came out happy and healthy! That helps me to not worry too much.

Thanks Jessy! Yes, chasing around a toddler does tend to help in keeping the weight down! I go Monday for a Level II scan so hopefully we'll be able to see that everything is ok with baby.

I lost weight with my first baby and losing weight with this little boy too. Doctor wasn't too concerned but i did have two extra U/S done with Samuel just to keep an eye out but as long as you are eating healthy and the Dr is okay everything will be fine!
    Krystalia Marie ~Mother to two boys Samuel Erwin Bosley born April 14th, 2011 and Benjamin Michael Herrera born July 1st 2012.

I definitely had a few months of losing instead of gaining with this one (it did catch up with me tho ) I'm still WELL below what I gained with Ashlyn!!
    Anna ~ Wife to Victor ~ Mommy to Ashlyn & Kiera