Thread: Chicken pox

Default Chicken pox

My 2 yr old has chicken pox any good tips on how to treat? So far he he hasn't been scratching them. Also would you keep your other children isolated also (he got them from a LO at church so only he was exposed) should I quarantine the whole clan? It took 22 days from the time he was exposed till he broke out that a long time to be couped up .
    TIA
    Erin Mommy to:
    Squirrel Girl (1/31/08 )
    Frog Boy (7/6/09)
    Baby Bird (5/5/11)

Honestly, I'd just let it go it's course. I wouldn't try to keep him from his family. I'm not sayin purposefully expose them, necessarily. I'm just thinking, the worst thing that happens? They all get it and are then immune. Then you don't have to worry about it. I believe the only time they are contagious is when they have the rash. Could be wrong. In any case, I'm sorry your kiddo is sick. Hope he feels better soon. Hugs.
    Daughter of the King
    Wife to one
    Mama of two

Too many blessings to count

Quote Originally Posted by melloyellochelle View Post
    Honestly, I'd just let it go it's course. I wouldn't try to keep him from his family. I'm not sayin purposefully expose them, necessarily. I'm just thinking, the worst thing that happens? They all get it and are then immune. Then you don't have to worry about it. I believe the only time they are contagious is when they have the rash. Could be wrong. In any case, I'm sorry your kiddo is sick. Hope he feels better soon. Hugs.
    He is actually acting like he feels ok a little sleep/fussy but he is such a cuddle bug that he just wants extra cuddles and more sleep to make it all better. Sorry I wasn't very clear I don't plan on trying to keep him from his sisters heck it was after their bath (all 3 together that I found the spots) but would you keep non-sick kiddos away from other kids (ie Suday School, Awana ect.) and by treat it ment what can I do to keep him comfortable?
    Erin Mommy to:
    Squirrel Girl (1/31/08 )
    Frog Boy (7/6/09)
    Baby Bird (5/5/11)

oatmeal baths help soothe the itching....

Aw! Gotcha! Yeah, probably keep him from activities until the rash is gone, at least. Glad he's not feeling too bad. Hope it stays that way. I know some people don't get it too badly.
    Daughter of the King
    Wife to one
    Mama of two

Too many blessings to count

No, I would not keep him from the family. If one of my kids (Lord willing) gets chicken pox, they are all going to be very close to one another for a while. I had hopped that I saw pox on Savannah the other day because it's better to have it while the baby is inside of me and I am immune (from having it myself) than to have it go around while the baby is new.
    Chicken pox is a normal illness to have, and much better to have earlier in life. I know there is a vax out there, but we don't vax, and I am all for my kids getting something that their immune system can fight naturally the way the Lord made our bodies to fight it...KWIM?

It might even be easier to keep the kids occupied if they all had the pox around the same time. Give them activities to do, movies to watch, if appropriate, give them baths with oatmeal and let them play.

I pray it goes well for you!

Blessings,
    Amber
    Mom to Emma Simone (9/1/05), Noah Reagan (5/1/07-5/3/07), Makelah Rose (9/11/08 ), Savannah Kacy Grace (11/05/10), Spencer Casey (11/05/10), and Xander due 10/2012

Our little two year old woke up with chicken pox this morning too! He had a fever in the night and I snuggled with him and could not believe it when I looked at him in the morning covered in spots. He seems fine so far. I asked at the pharmacy and she said if they get itchy Benedryl is good taken internally, not the cream. Baking soda or oatmeal baths. Aveeno cream or the bath soaks, calendula cream.. And if you see a spot looking infected-polysporin.. Those are all the things she shared. He is not itchy yet, so we shall see. I am interested to see if the baby gets it. He is only seven months. Wondering if he still has my immunity from breast feeding? I have no clue where we got them?

She said it is most contagious by coughing and then open spots, so only to worry about keeping him home for the next five days.

Hope spots don't get super itchy at your house.
    Kathaleen ~ Mamma to 4 at home & 2 daughters in our hearts.