By Cheri Fuller
With the school year right around the corner, we want all our kids to get a great start in the classroom, in whatever schooling choice you've decided on: private, public, Christian, or home school.
Here's a great way to ignite their interest in learning and reading and it's a real key to motivation. Having taught children from early elementary to high school and college, I call it "tapping into their center of learning excitement." You can use this principle to stir up curiosity and motivate your kids reading, writing, and learning: discover their interests, and then plug into this center of learning excitement:
- What is his or her top interests? Does she dream of space and want to be an astronaut? Is your child fascinating with horses or marine life? Does he want to know more about how to breed tropical fish? There are books and magazines for every interest a child could have. You can do an Internet search or a local librarian can help search under the topic headings that match your child's interest.
- Take the approach of "whatever makes his heart beat faster" - try it! Take field trips, get resources, books and videos on her favorite topics, and she won't view learning as such a chore.
- Have your child make or dictate to you (if a pre-reader) a list of subjects, sports, hobbies, and activities he's interested in or would like to know more about.
- Get a subscription to a magazine that taps into one of these interests.
- Integrate some writing into the interests your child has. Check out a "Free Stuff" book at the library or find at a bookstore. With that address in hand, they can write off for all kinds of hobby materials: a star map from NASA, sports team cards, and even neon frog paper for budding scientists.
One of the best things that happens when we discover and plug into kids interests is they gain momentum for learning and school challenges, valuable momentum they need to go the long distance of the educational marathon.
On this Wednesday, August 4 author of Christian-Mommies.com columnist Cheri Fuller will be on the live, interactive web-based TV program, "Helping Your Child Thrive in School" (1 p.m. Central time.) You can participate by logging into www.YourFamilyLive.com, posting questions or calling in with your question to 888-465-6595. Join us for this lively and practical discussion! Jump in and we'll talk about your child and your questions.
In addition, that same day Cheri will be the featured guest with her book School Starts at Home and Raising Motivated Kids, on Focus on the Family radio nationwide Don't miss this encouraging and practical program! Visit her website: www.cherifuller.com
(Use only with permission of author.)
Join the Christian Mommies Forums to participate in our friendly online community, and have grown-up conversation with other Christian moms. As an alternative try our "Mom Site" Affiliate Moms of Faith's online community.
Christian Mommies Home Page - Site Map
Facebook Page - Pinterest - Twitter
Copyright © 2001-2020 Christian-Mommies.com ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.