Short Shots On Leaving A Legacy Of Love
By Lee Wise (© All rights reserved. Used with permission.)
In my opinion, these things matter...
1. Enjoying childlike delights before the child no longer delights in being one.
2. Paying attention long enough to understand yet caring enough to make a necessary correction once it's all understood.
3. Responding to immaturity in a mature way.
4. Being silly when I can,
5. And fun when it's not cool to be silly.
6. Making time to listen when it's their time -- not just "my time."
7. Being big enough to say "I was wrong,"
8. Sensitive enough to ask, "Will you forgive me?"
9. And courageous enough to correct my ways in the process.
10. Teaching by my actions that additional freedom is earned by being responsible and not an automatic right acquired on the date of the next birthday.
11. Sharing laughter for no other reason than laughter is being shared with me.
12. Complimenting like crazy,
13. Avoiding foolish demands like the plague,
14. And hugging whether they are huggable or not.
15. Remembering that little people are no more -- but no less than -- just that: little people.
16. Looking in the mirror and realizing "I'm one of the little people who got older."
17. Making sure that "You've done well" doesn't always carry with it "But you *should have* done better."
18. Knowing when to truthfully say "For this I am not responsible: you are." (And living with myself once I've said it.)
19. Knowing the importance of releasing without disconnecting,
20. Being a friend while being a parent,
21. Listening to learn instead of waiting to tell,
22. And giving space without giving up.
23. Knowing the immense value of being able to say in the end "I have done all I could reasonably do -- and them some."
24. Taking time to show up when I can as opposed to wishing I could when showing up is not possible (or even worse: not wanted).
25. Loving with all my heart because in the end it's worth it all.
Join the Christian Mommies Forums to participate in our friendly online community, and have grown-up conversation with other Christian moms. As an alternative try our "Mom Site" Affiliate Moms of Faith's online community.
Christian Mommies Home Page - Site Map
Facebook Page - Pinterest - Twitter
Copyright © 2001-2018 Christian-Mommies.com ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.